Wednesday, April 25, 2018

HARPER MUFFY

On May 26th we got to the hospital at 6:00 am for our scheduled induction.  We got all checked in and by 7:00 am they had me all hooked up to I.V.'s.  By 8:00 am they did an ultrasound and confirmed that the baby had miraculously turned to head down on it's own.  I hadn't been able to eat for 12 hours in case they had to rotate so they let me have 10 minutes to eat as much as I could before they started me on pitocin.  From then on I ate a lot of popsicles. 
Denton caught a few zzzz's while we waited for things to get going.

By 10:30 am I was having regular contractions on the lowest level of pitocin.  By 12:00 pm I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable so I got my epidural and at 12:45 pm they broke my water.  The Dr.'s had thought that one of the reasons Baby wasn't going head down was I had a little too much fluid so it was just floating up.  When they broke my water there was a ton of fluid, I could definitely see/feel a difference between this one and Mason where I didn't have enough fluid. They checked me at this point and I was 3cm dilated, 70% effaced.  From this point we just settled in to wait for things to progress.  I was checked again at 4:25 pm and was only 5 cm/70%.  This was a little disheartening.  My longest induction to date took 6 hrs from start to finish and even Cohen my naturalish delivery took less than 12 hrs.  I think not having the head down until the day before delivery really made things move slower.  I was really starting to get impatient and just wanted to meet this baby. Finally around 7:30 pm it was time to push.  I had to work hard for this one and I ended up pushing for over an hour and baby was coming out face up.  Finally at 9:01 pm 15 hrs after arriving Baby girl was born!!! She weighed 7lbs 6 oz and was 20.5 inches long.  
Since we didn't know the gender I wanted to be the one to announce.  As soon as she was born they immediately put her on my chest, I then peaked under the towel to look.  I saw something between the legs and assumed it was a penis.  Both Denton and I were pretty sure it was going to be a boy so I looked up and said it's a boy.  The nurse leans over and says look again.  I checked and saw I was mistaken and we indeed had a little GIRL!!!!  To say we were shocked was an understatement.  
 Denton doing his usual first diaper.
Seriously so in shock but so in love.
Waiting for the boys to come and feeling a little exhausted.
Bev brought the boys in that night around 10 pm.  We didn't tell them if she was a boy or girl until they got there.  Bev started clapping, Cohen grinned, Ollie was a deer in headlights, and Mason's face says it all.  
AND THEN THERE WERE SIX!
 Our amazing delivery nurse Maelie.  She was with me for the first 12 hours and just missed delivery.
It took us awhile to decide on a name.  I think both of us thought we were having a boy and had both agreed the name of Griffin.  We had talked about girl names but weren't really set on one.  Our top names were Ava, Britain, Harper, and Bristol.  We narrowed it down between Harper and Bristol but couldn't make a decision.  Finally Denton said the middle name had to be Muffy so we at least had that.  In order to get a birth certificate ASAP you have to have a name when you leave the hospital.  We were feeling pressure and had less than an hour to go and finally settled on Harper.  We both love it and couldn't imagine her with any other name.
This is my new normal
 We finally left the hospital then next day at 10 pm.  They tried to talk us into staying another night but I just wanted to wake up in my own bed.  Does a newborn in a carseat get any cuter?

No comments:

Post a Comment