Saturday, June 27, 2015

Marathon Mayhem and Kinder Grad

 Denton decided to run a half marathon the last weekend in May.  I decided that if he could push himself to do that I would try and do a 10K.  We went up the night before and stayed at the Arnolds.  We went and checked out the village that night.  I can't believe how big Elley is she so great with all the boys.
Molly and Cohen have been friends since they were 2 months old.
Denton got up in the morning and headed to the start line with Keely and some of her friends who were also running the race.  Denton sent me a few text updates throughout the race.  Adam and I loaded up the kids and headed to the finish line to watch them finish.  When I got there I called Denton to see where he was because I knew he would be close to the finish.  He said he was at mile 12 (he still doesn't remember that phone call).  We patiently waited for Denton, luckily there was a free bounce house nearby to occupy the kids.  We finally saw Denton but he didn't look good.  He was as white as a ghost and hobbling along.  I thought he had hurt his hips or knee.  We watched him limp along and then as he got closer, Adam says he's going down and runs to him.  Denton was not lucid at this point and kept saying I have to finish.  He layed down and over the next 1/2 hour was in and out of it.  This was about 50yds from the finish line. They finally hooked him up to an iv and we headed to the hospital.  Needless to say I didn't get to run my 10K but I did run Denton's bib through the finish line.  He would've finished around 2:08.
After we got to the hospital it took about 2hrs before Denton knew where he was and what time it was. They ran a bunch of tests and were nervous because of his elevated troponin levels, which can happen with a heart attack.  In the end it turns out he just pushed himself way too hard and had heat stroke was severely dehydrated.  When he felt light headed and tingling in his arms at mile 10 he should have walked or rested.  Of course he kept going because he wanted a good time.  It was about 20 degrees hotter and way more humid than when he had trained and that had a really severe effect on him. It was definitely a little stressful but I am just glad he is ok.  I hope to never run such an expensive race again!
This whole event would have been much more stressful if we hadn't had our amazing friends the Arnold's with us.  I went with Denton to the hospital and they took care of the boys without hesitation.  It was such a relief to know they were safe and happy. They even gave Ollie a fudgsicle. 
Marvin and Beverly came up later that evening and took the boys back Rupert since they kept Denton overnight and didn't release us until the next morning.
 
 I CAN'T BELEIVE COHEN IS OLD ENOUGH TO GRADUATE FROM KINDERGARTEN!!!
 Cohen did awesome this year.  He is learning to read and knows all 40 sightwords.  I usually go in and help in his classroom every Friday and it has been fun getting to know the kids.  His class is definitely a little short on boys.  At least is makes Cohen easy to find.
All the kids got to say what they were going to be when they grow up, Cohen said he is going to be a vet.  We will see if that changes over the next 12 years.  Although he sure does love ALL animals.
 Cohen and his amazing teacher Mrs. LeBlanc

No comments:

Post a Comment